Search This Blog

Saturday, January 25, 2014

Tiger, Tiger, Burning Bright

I woke this morning thinking of tiger beetles.  Specifically, their larvae, and the time I spent this fall tending to things as yet unseen.  My heart is full, like a mother's, as I try to imagine their tiny frames tucked tight in test tubes kept chilly at the local zoo.

I miss that weekly routine carried out with my friend Mark, one of us tapping wingless fruit flies into plastic cups while the other utters a silent prayer that the ancient laptop has kept safe the digital diary of our tiny friends' lives.  Yes, I do believe they became our friends, over time, even though most of our work was done in blind belief that something living was indeed buried deep inside those dirt-filled cylinders.

Against the dark backdrop of a winter's early morning, I  close my eyes, willing myself to see tiny lives transformed, larvae pushing out tiny legs, the mote of a heart beating slowly, steadily.  A species on the verge of rebirth.  And I hope against hope that Jessie the Zookeeper remembers her promise and, come some warm day not too far in the future, Mark and I will be asked to join the scientists as they release these tiny beetles into the saline landscape of their new lives.

As I sit, warm, in my bed, I imagine this room as a cave, and me, its hibernating inhabitant, and I wonder what it is I will become when the spring thaws return to this land.

No comments:

Post a Comment