Search This Blog

Sunday, January 5, 2014

Tea Party for Two, Please

I heard on NPR this morning that tea will be big this year, and not just in tall glasses or politics.  While I don't see myself sprinkling Earl Grey on my food any time soon, I am surprised by my new-found mini crush on the Tea Party, a group that, until recently, did little more than set off my gag reflex.

Like tea itself, the Tea Party has proven itself to be transformative.  Once simply a cute, vote-getting sideshow of the Republican Party, more and more, Tea Party members now hunger for center stage (see government shutdown, Fall 2013).  And that's where the fun really begins! 

Actually, the roots of that fun began back in 2003, when the Texas legislature got out its pencils and erasers and began drawing new district lines for its voting precincts.  That redistricting wizardry not only strengthened the GOP's stronghold in the state, but it also led to another Texas seat in the U.S. House of Representatives.  It probably also led to the early deaths of Ann Richards and Molly Ivins, two Texas heroes of mine who, I imagine, just couldn't take it anymore. 

Texas' successful foray into gerrymandering led several other states to begin drawing new maps, too.  Turns out that gerrymandering isn't just a funny word, though.  It's also a funny way of telling your candidate that you are pretty sure he can't win unless you sweep out all the pesky poor people and minorities from his district. 

Well, well, well.  

Fast forward to 2009, when the Republican Party gave birth to the Tea Party.  Sure, the television footage of Tea Party members was occasionally uncomfortable--oddballs and kooks and patriots, oh my!  But these folks brought an important and revitalized electorate to the scene, giving those stodgy Republicans some new energy and vitality.

Any Democrat no longer in kindergarten could've warned the Republicans about the dangers of inviting all types to join the party.  As a lifelong Democrat myself--one who has voted for Independents and Republicans, as well--I long ago understood that getting my party on point is like herding cats.  There are just too many kinds of Democrats to come up with any kind of party consensus.

Alas, I've become a very good loser over the years.  And, on rare occasions, an utterly astounded winner.  Or at least I felt like a winner at the time.  But, mostly, I've been a loser.

Until now, that is.  Remember all those cool, new lines they drew in Texas back in 2003?  Not to mention the new, Republican-friendly lines that Florida, Georgia, Maryland, Michigan and Pennsylvania also drew up?  Well, this ain't your mama's Republican Party anymore and those new lines suddenly don't look so friendly, do they?

(tee hee)

 You know that flesh-eating bacteria that worked its way through that Florida man last year?  If I'm not mistaken, something similar seems to be knocking on the Republican Party's front door.  No longer able to contain the Tea Party, some mainstream Republicans are wondering who exactly will garner their party's votes in all those redistricted areas.  What if the kook wins?  Who do you suppose will take the victory, come general elections?

Can you say "donkey?"

A part of me kind of feels bad for the Republican Party.  I used to stand in awe over its ability to be organized, on point and disciplined.  It's been hard, at times, to watch its line blur, its people move off center, its agenda weaken as a rallying point.  I think the Republican Party is going through labor pains as it transforms itself for the 21st century.  Maybe that's why John Boehner cries so much.  Because labor really, really hurts.  But I've even found myself rooting him on as he finally stood up and told the children to "Behave!"

Truth be told, I'm not particularly drawn to politics.  I feel no more affinity for a political party than I do for a type of tea.  Well, that's probably not true, but I have never let myself turn a deaf ear on someone simply because they preferred elephants.  And, frankly, I have no respect for politicians who have to sneak their way to victories.  Gerrymandering by either party is as distasteful to me as are term limits.  Anything that attempts to weaken or invalidate anyone's vote in the booth?  Anti-American, if you ask me. 

Still, it is a wild and entertaining thing to watch the Republican Party decide what kind of Transformer it will turn into.  My vote is for the Transformers Beast Hunter, Deluxe Lazerback Class.  He's red!  He's tough!  And he's had enough!




No comments:

Post a Comment