Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Odd (Wo)man Out

I have long known the danger of threes, that human impulse to form "us and him/her/it" coalitions.  Woe to the singleton in most of those situations. 

Most, but not all. 

These days, I am gleeful to be that lone "her," watching on the sidelines as Allison and Mark--daughter and father--form an impenetrable bond, usually with a guitar between them.   That a 17-year-old girl would knowingly spend time with her father--seeking him out, even--is a mystery I happily witness, even if I was a wee bit jealous to learn that she texted him the other day, proposing a creeking adventure (did you know you could text a land line?  Apparently, the robot-like voice is a hoot.).

I have loved watching my children grow into their own lives this year, talking of their futures with enthusiasm and hope.  And I hold my breath each time they return to us for comfort and conversation, to sit in the same room with us, just to be close.

What more could a parent want than to see her offspring spring off of the roost and spread their damp, new wings, trusting the air to hold them aloft? 

There are worse things than a homing pigeon finding home again, between adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment