Search This Blog

Sunday, April 21, 2013

Jane and the Terrible, No Good, Very Bad Week: What Now?

I watched the national news on Wednesday.  Boy, was that a bad idea.  For 30 minutes, I was assaulted by terrorists, poisoned by a justice of the peace and haunted by a young boy, suddenly deaf, who only wanted his dad to take him home now.

Nothing seemed simple this week.

And yet. . . .

Lest we think that "simple" just melts away, there it is, tucked into a forgotten corner, covered by the dust of the moment, which seems so much more dire, so complicated, so here and now.

This was a good week to sit under a strong, old tree and feel its resilience.  To know that its roots, like fingers hidden underground, reach out, always looking for a cool, long drink of water. 

We could all use a cool, long drink of water right now.

And so, I try my best to get "simple" again, to focus on the essence, rather than the esoteric.  Who needs exotica when spring lurks just underneath the surface?  What I need right now--what we all need--is for one, brilliant grape hyacinth to poke its crazy beautiful head above the ground and shout out "I am HERE, dammit!"

Today, I need my brood close by, so that I might run my fingers through their too-long hair, comforted by the steadiness of DNA, its magical message holding us close together.  I need fresh air and bird song, a rabbit standing vigilant in my garden, readying itself for the sharp-shinned hawk that circles above.

I need this beautiful, complicated, natural world to cycle its way through me, like blood, oblivious to the hardness of the past week.  I need good books, great songs, brave students, soulful encounters.

I need the cleansing qualities of all that is simple and pure.  The basics, if you will.  The beautiful bottom of my pyramid, so that I might build something good upon it.

Like a life worth living.

No comments:

Post a Comment