Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

I've Got Game!

October 20, 2010

A funny thing happened on my way through Allison's volleyball season--I fell in love with a team and found myself wishing the season were longer. I never would have anticipated that reaction, but Mark and I both felt it deep in our bones.

Did I ever mention how nice it is to be wrong sometimes?

In mid August, when Allison was going to two practices a day, I found myself obsessing about the hours I figured I'd spend hauling children, sitting in stands, delaying dinners...In short--and in selfishness--I didn't like where this was going. I felt a small wave of panic as I realized that, while we are still van-free in the Holt household, we would no longer be truly free. At least on Tuesday and Thursday evenings, and possibly Saturdays.

What happened instead, though, is that Mark and I lost ourselves as we watched a group of girls--strangers just weeks before--figure out how to play well together. We found ourselves transformed with each transformation the team went through. Once unfamiliar names now rolled off our tongues as we hooted and hollered--always appropriately, thank you!--in response to the things that unfolded on those maple floors.

For the first time in 30 years, I have found myself seeped in a school's traditions, shiny from pride through association. Sure, I work in a high school. The same one I graduated from. And I love being at East High. But this love does not equate with the feelings I've had during Allison's volleyball season. I feel "Link" entering my blood system and it makes me happy.

Last night, Allison and her team wrapped up their season, clocking in 6 official wins, but earning far more moral victories than those that are recorded in the books. They took my own alma mater to three games last night in Beatrice. Wish I would have made the drive to cheer on this team of funny, shining, diverse girls who found a reason to play together.

Hats off to you, Allison, Zoe, Alexis, Nyachar, Briana, Kamaya, Amy, Sabrina, Keteyana (who is related to Rosa Parks!), Rian, Shaundi, Christy and Coach Pendi.

You've done far more than just play volleyball together. And I'm mighty grateful for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment