Search This Blog

Monday, April 10, 2017

7:15 Sunday at Holmes Lake














7:15 Sunday at Holmes Lake


Sometimes, the grid is laid with gravel.
But, today, I want to be silent.
So I shift my feet off path, to soft soil,
my presence now muted.


Is it a denial of self to want to be absorbed by
everything around me?  
To long to lay down among the morning-light miscanthus
and look up?


Maybe it is something quite the opposite
--a blossoming of self in the presence of others.


Pressed against the warm earth, I disappear,
watching skeins of geese stretch above, noisily recalibrating.
My ears awaken, tickled by the chit-chit-chit-whirrrrr of red-winged blackbirds.
Agitated and full of sex, red-breasted robins circle,
swirling upward like angry dry leaves in the wind.


I am awash in this beautiful, this perfect science
--the audaciousness of a crab-apple blossom breaking through
--the sweet, iron-tinged scent of a rain cloud as it moves overhead
--the umber flash of fox, trolling for voles along the dam’s backside


I love my people, to be sure.  
But, some mornings, I love the wild world even more.

No comments:

Post a Comment