Search This Blog

Monday, July 25, 2016

Two Truths and At Least One Lie

No one has ever asked me what it's like to be white.  Or a woman.  Like anyone would expect me to speak for someone else.

True, several people have asked me how it is I can be 54 and yet have never carried a purse. But I think their curiosity rests more in where I put things rather than in what I am.

Believe me when I say that, in the past couple of weeks, I've had to practically sit on my hands to resist the urge to ask a black person to guide or inform me, even though I know the absurdity of asking someone to somehow be a larger group.  Thank God I've got a place for those fidgety hands of mine.

These are choppy waters we find ourselves in these days.  But I am encouraged that so many of us are still wading in them.  There are, I think, all kinds of people right now who really want to know how to do things differently.  Sure, many of us, like first-time surfers, will lose our footing, fall into the waves and make fools of ourselves, over and over and over again.  This learning process--or un-learning process, as it may be--is a messy business.  But we need to keep getting back on the boards, because the waves are not going away.

Maybe I should have been carrying a purse all these years.  Now, when I really need to open up and see what it is I have been lugging along with me,  I don't have the convenience of rifling through my Kate Spade to get to the truth of things.  Instead, I have to hunt down scraps of paper, tarnished mementos and handfuls of loose change, each tucked away in various pockets or atop my desk or in the console of my car, and lay them out like pieces of a treasure map, and try to make sense of it all.

I know I've used too many metaphors in this post, moving from purses to surfboards with seemingly no regard for good taste or readability.  It's probably just another delay tactic, offering up a few more distractions to keep me from starting to do the hard work of learning and unlearning.  Or maybe they represent something more substantive,  like clunky signs of my dis-ease.

For today, at least, they'll have to do.  And I'll have to trust that by putting them down here, by writing them out for others to see, I will be held accountable.  I will be asked to share what I know and what I've learned about what it means to be a human living on this earth right now.




No comments:

Post a Comment