Search This Blog

Monday, March 28, 2016

Why I Need the Sandhills Cranes, This Year Especially


If I had the money and time, I'd head down to Mexico this week to wander among trees filled with monarchs.  Short on both money and time, though, I am lucky to have a viable, awesome alternative--a morning with the cranes.  And, while I hate to dis on the butterflies, the cranes also come with an enviable soundtrack--that strange, guttural trill that both shocks and awes.

Avian shock and awe.  That's what I need right now.  A winged beast whose ancestor's 12-million-year-old bones have been dug up in western Nebraska.  A dinosaur with wings, whose 12,000-year-old memory pulls it to the Platte each spring.

I need the dependability of the cranes' return because this has been anything but a dependable year for me.  Too much ebb and flow, grief and joy, life and lamentation for someone who likes to keep things low key.

Come early Saturday morning, then--even before our most awesome newspaper carrier has placed the fragile remains of the Journal-Star on our steps--I will point my way westward, to the place where a half million birds wait in the shallows for the first signs of dawn, hunger and sky slowly rousing them.   I will hear them before I see them, holding my breath to slow my heart.

And when the sun begins to paint the sky?  Then, I will let the sight wash over me, winged waves framed by the notes of an ancient chorale as I calibrate my life again.

No comments:

Post a Comment