Search This Blog

Sunday, November 17, 2013

An Educated Guess

It was 2008 and I was seated on a hard, plastic chair in the basement of Redeemer Lutheran Church when I cast my vote for Barack Obama as president of the United States.  What on earth was I thinking, voting for a man with that kind of name, whose blood included that of a black man's?  It was an outrageous and utterly hopeful moment when #2 pencil met the cardboard bubble that afternoon.

And yet, it also felt like I was setting up the guy.  After all, the United States was a mess and perhaps it would have been kinder to Obama if I cast my vote for John McCain and let him muddle through the next four years.  But I voted my heart anyway.

I felt similarly conflicted last week when son Eric told me he planned to take advantage of a 14-month Master's of English Education program at UNL, after graduating in a year and a half.

My son wants to be a teacher!

My son wants to be a teacher?!

I have no doubt that Eric will be a terrific teacher.  He's loved his time at the Malone Center, after all, where he's worked with elementary-aged kids in an after-school creative writing program.  And I think he's felt successful at UNL's Writing Center, helping fellow students tackle term papers and research projects.

And heaven knows that the teaching field could use more good men in it.

Like most professions, though, the teaching field has a knack for shooting itself in its own foot, and being its own worst enemy.  In the past decade, educators have quit writing and telling their stories, stepping aside to let for-profit corporations, legislators, and really, really rich people do it for them.  For a guy who loves a good story, I wonder how Eric Holt will react to that sad fact.

What to do, then, with all of Eric's enthusiasm, the hope he holds within that he can make a difference, build a bridge, change the life of a young person?

I already knew the answer before I even asked it.

I suck it up, keep my lips closed and vote my heart, which says that this outrageous and hopeful act of standing behind my son is the only choice I have.





No comments:

Post a Comment