Search This Blog

Monday, July 15, 2013

Spring Creek, 11 a.m.

"How can a bird that is born for joy
sit in a cage and sing?"  
--William Blake


I swallowed it last Spring
on a chilly day, the grey sky stretching lazily above me.
A tiny pebble pushed deep down
--grist for my future, I told myself, 
like silt, both fine and unrefined.

Slowly, it burbled its way back up again
emerging just this morning,
while I tried valiantly to keep my balance,
 my haunches now wet from the cool spring-fed waters

And there, with one fist closed over a handful of tiny snails,
and the other fishing for a sandal,
I stumbled from the waters,
christened by the shine of a hundred tomorrows

Laughing, my clothes
heavy with the wet scent of dead things,
I climbed up the bank,
net in hand,
lugging with me this life of mine,
made new by a lone pebble now pointing a way
in the road,
a way that felt new to me.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you and Mark are having a great time as students in the Master Naturalist program. I am jealous!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leslie...we would welcome you with open arms! Stinky but open arms!

      Delete