Search This Blog

Monday, July 11, 2011

The Ultimate Stay-cation

Vicarious living is vastly underrated. In our goofy, capitalistic way of thinking, something that's cheap or free can't possibly be as good as its expensive counterpart. And so, we often end up trashing second-hand experiences, embarrassed by their second-handedness, I guess.

What a waste. I, for one, will not be swayed by popular thinking (Hey! I still wear my Chic jeans from the late 90s!). Nay, I resist all those naysayers, and find myself deeply satisfied by this, my incredibly cheap and intensely enjoyable "stay-cation" summer. Below are some of my favorite stopovers so far.

STAYCATION #1: READ A BOOK


A well-written tale is an immensely powerful thing--and far cheaper than turning down the AC when you think no one is looking. While I occasionally pick up books to find myself, more often than not, it is the act of losing myself that I love the most. Be warned, though. Sometimes, when you lose yourself, great heaps of time pass you by and you forget such basics as feeding the dog or having a bite to eat.

Earlier this week, while sweat was leeching its way ever downward on my fleshy Midwestern frame, my brain was in the deep freeze, mesmerized by murders in Oslo, Norway ("The Snowman" by Jo Nesbo). Granted, a part of me wished that the antihero main character, Harry Hole, had a less visual name, but I managed to put those concerns aside and instead let myself get swept away by the intriguing storyline. Ice, ice, baby!

I've also had the summertime pleasure of a wild week in 19th-century Istanbul, the delightful eunuch Yashim my able guide ("An Evil Eye" and "The Janisarry Tree," both by Jason Goodwin). And I've even managed to forgive Dan Brown his tendencies toward absurd twists and turns long enough to enjoy Washington, D.C. and its many hidden meanings ("The Lost Symbol").

STAYCATION #2: Eat Some Food

(First, a moment of silence as we pay our respects to the good Lord above, who gave us the creators of Groupon and Living Social. May their lives be as blessed and inexpensive as the lives of those who eagerly follow them.)

It has been months since the Holts have paid full price for a meal. And I say that with both pride and gastronomic satisfaction. Just Saturday, for instance, I was treated to a Thai-inspired meal, redolent with rich coconut milk, tangy limes, spicy sambal oelek and two kinds of delicious noodles--TWO kinds!--, thanks to a 2-for-1 deal at the Blue Orchid. That I showed enough restraint that night to enjoy a repeat performance at lunch the following day is, in itself, a joyful miracle.

In addition to our Thai trip, we've visited the Middle East more than once this summer, thanks to Sultan who, along with his Kite, whips up a mean and most delicious meal of Chicken Tikka or Shawarma.

And one need not travel so far for good food when it is Nebraska in the summer, what with corn stands and tomatoes, zucchini and strawberries all hollering at you.

STAYCATION #3: Encourage Other People to Travel


Warning: This stay-cation is not for the weak-of-heart. It is the true test of the vicarious person to accept the conditions of this choice--which include sending someone whose name does not have the initials "Jane Holt" to far-off lands so that you may enjoy their experiences. Yet, for those who are up to the challenge, the rewards are many.

That is why I so enjoyed my lunch with friend Laurie the other day. For much of it--at my encouragement--she took me through the hills above Barcelona and down the precarious dirt roads of France, treating me to untouched villages and unimaginable vistas, all for the price of an hour and a bowl of good soup.

It is also why I allowed son Eric to save his pennies and pretend he needed my permission to go to Sweden, where, as I type this, he is probably soaking in a sauna, post lingonberry lust fest. He may think he is spreading his tiny, little adolescent wings, but what Eric really is doing is saving me some big bucks while also giving me the chance to explore the land of his ancestors, all from the comfort of my own home.

STAYCATION #4: Get Lost


Summer is an especially good season to get lost. There are numerous ways to do this, from trying out a bike path that is new to you, to listening for telltale signs of owls out back. Whatever the venue, getting lost is, perhaps, the vicarious traveler's greatest trick.

The point of getting lost is simple--seeing something for the first time. The power of getting lost, though, cannot be overstated. When we let ourselves get lost--whether it's in a book or on a road or in the exotic spices of another land--we give our eyes and our brains, our hearts and our bodies the chance to be born again. Our senses snap to attention when they're exposed to something new, even if that something is no further than our own backyards.

And, really, is there a greater joy than discovering something new in the otherwise everyday worlds we live in? I think not.

Now, go have yourself a new experience. And no grousing about the cheap price tag.

Really, you're better than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment