Search This Blog

Saturday, December 16, 2017

I Never Imagined. . .

"I never imagined . . . . "

How many times this year have my sentences started with those three words?  Well, basically, every morning that I picked up the newspaper. 

Who could have imagined all these dunderheaded politicians, the endless parade of  piggish men, such evil and rampant greed?  Who could have imagined so much rain, such horrendous fires, so many idiots drawing imaginary lines in the sand, as though this beautiful, precious life were some kind of a spitting contest?

Honestly, who could've imagined this world right now--at once aflame and under water? 

And yet . . . . 

. . . who could have imagined 8 million people from 81 countries walking out of their homes on Jan. 21 to gather with strangers in protest?

. . . who could have imagined 13,000 women expressing an interest in running for office?

. . . who could've imagined six transgendered Americans winning political seats this November?

. . . . who could've imagined Alabama voters--many of them black--saying "enough" to white men behaving badly?

. . . And, while it required no imagination among women to explain the tidal wave of #metoo moments, who'd have imagined the swiftness with which that testosteroned tide has begun to turn?

In my own small life, who could have imagined I would march for women and immigrants and science and education and aquifers?  Who could have imagined I would call and write and email Congressmen?  Who could have imagined I would wait 8 hours to talk with the Education Committee about charter schools?

When my tired and beaten imagination began failing me this year, it was in facts and faces, courageous stories and stunning push backs that I found myself once again imagining something new.  Something better than this.

As for the future?  I imagine a long-overdue revolution, much of it led by women.

I imagine that won't sit well with some . . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment