Search This Blog

Sunday, January 31, 2016

Family Values

I like this photo.  And, maybe I'm just making excuses for my sloppy selfie-bilities, but I also like that we don't all fit neatly into the frame.  Seems like an accurate portrayal of life.

But, mostly, I like this photo because of the collection of humans within it.  Half of us share some DNA, while two of us hold an enviable 26-year contract between us.  And the other two?  Well, they are hardly outliers.

The other night, this motley crew gathered at Lazlo's for no other reason than to eat some food and enjoy each other's company.  The photo above represents the only other time all six of us have eaten together (so far). A quick study of the mood captured in the photo will tell you that we get along well enough, thank you.

Sitting around the table at Lazlo's, there was a palpable ease that accompanied us, an intimacy that made the meal a pleasure, even if I did order too many brown things that required a deep fryer.  And, while I've got friends who are on the other end of the "parenting" spectrum right now--delighting in first words, first steps, and rapidly-firing synapses--sitting at that table Thursday night made me realize that there are many things to celebrate about our children, even when they are, themselves, adults.

There, in a building in the center of the Haymarket, a familiar warmth filled me, a momentary long view of gratefulness for all that has been and all that is, included the right now.  I was grateful that, 30 years ago in Henzlik Hall, Mark and I happened to be seated near each other as our new semester began.  I was grateful that Eric and Allison turned out so nicely, despite the stunning ignorance of their parents.  And I was grateful that Kate and Eric noticed each other at Prom 2011 and that Zach and his friends asked Allison last spring if they could join their sand volleyball game.

While the knuckleheads and blowhards may dominate the media, it is good to remember how many fine folks surround us in our daily lives, people we call "family," regardless of chemical connections. It is good to stretch out our arms, sometimes, and invite folks in, even if we cannot quite completely capture their essence in a single frame.

No comments:

Post a Comment