Search This Blog

Sunday, December 6, 2015

The Power of a Morning Sky

Yesterday, I almost made the mistake of writing about the morning sky instead of going outside and experiencing it, firsthand.  Fortunately, the room lit up like a Creamsicle,  and it was all I could do not to run to the park in my pajamas.  This photo, taken by my friend Katherine Endacott, is proof that my decision was a good one.

I certainly am not immune to the immense sadness and violence of this world, the incomprehensible weight of Serious Things.  But neither can I turn a blind eye to its beauty, to a sky that is always--always--whispering "Look up.  Look up.  Look UP!"

Where else but in the steadiness of the stars, in the meandering strings of geese stretched across the skies, could I be so clearly reminded of larger things that care not a whit about our problems?

I look up and I am grounded again.

True, the violence still punctures.  The losses accumulate.  The divides grow seemingly wider.

But that sky . . . 

And in those quiet moments, when I give myself over to something that is not made of  bolt, barrel and bravado, I am steeled by the surprising strength of beauty and kindness, ready to face all that is broken, having bathed in the Creamsicle glow of things that are more eternal than violence.


No comments:

Post a Comment