Search This Blog

Saturday, May 10, 2014

Turns Out, I'm NOT Stuck on Bandaids!

My heart is full and my thumbs are free of Bandaids.

Who can explain the relaxed, warm thrum that sometimes moves through us, without consultation?  And so, here I sit, alongside Finn on this green and sunny May Saturday, having fallen in love with my children, my friends, my family, my life all over again.

I think these newest seeds were planted Thursday evening, when we headed to Shoemaker's Marsh, where I'd seen a fine bison bone hugging the banks of Little Salt Creek earlier in the week.   I cannot tell you how much it means to me that my family loves the life that lives outside of computer screens and man-made walls.  Nor can I tell you how lucky I felt Thursday evening, as we trekked together through trail-less tall-grass prairie, wending our way along the eroded edges where land and water meet.

Along the way, we stopped to study an animal track, to enjoy a beaver or deer sighting, to listen to the crowing of a horny pheasant, to gather courage for a leap across a saline-eroded sink hole.

I am pretty sure that, if I ever do end up at heaven's gates, it will be times like this one--quiet moments with good people who care not a whit what time it is or who has updated her status--that I will savor.  I do not doubt that these moments are the measures that matter most.

And maybe that's why I'm not wearing any Bandaids, despite it being early May.  You see, it is a rugged time of year to be a school teacher.  Everyone in that building is on the verge of a nervous breakdown, so the adults come home exhausted, having put on a good face for all those hours.  Throw in the stress of selling, completing and distributing a student-made yearbook--especially in these snarky, you-suck times--and you can see why my thumbs are usually chewed up and bandaged.

For some reason, though, I can't recall the last time I have donned a Bandaid.  My thumbs, while still not hand-model handsome, aren't ragged and bloody, either.  In fact, I am calm and happy these day, unhampered by doomsday scenarios or monkey mind.  I feel steady, unconcerned and relaxed.

I suppose it's possible I'm just losing my mind in a different way this spring, but I'm not asking questions.  No, I'm just enjoying the view--the people-watching, bone-collecting, family-filled times that punctuate and soften all the hardness we like to impose upon ourselves.  Apparently, I've been given a little gift this year, one that says I am not required to repeat the fretfulness of past springs, despite everything.  And I plan to unwrap that gift as slowly as humanly possible.

Yes, it is a time to savor.  Who am I to question the warm fuzzies?

No comments:

Post a Comment