Search This Blog

Saturday, April 12, 2014

The Circle Game

Today, my son gave me his power-of-attorney document, required for his semester abroad.

Today, my daughter excused me from attending her last Prom photo shoot of high school.

Today, I stood next to Salt Creek and watched a man lift an ancient buffalo skull from the grassy embankment.

Talk about circle of life.

 There are times when I want to slow time down, to bend the arc of that circle of life just a bit.  And then, there are times when it bends all on its own.  For me, those times of slowing usually happen when I'm outside, either figuratively or literally.

I longed for a "pause" button last July when I was happily knee deep in mucky water at Spring Creek Prairie , knowing full well that I would not get out without falling.  And I felt it this afternoon as I watched Allison and her friend Kamaya walk across the street in their too-tall shoes and too-short dresses, their bodies long and full, their lives verging on self possession.

What is that feeling that is made of both longing and joy?  How do I explain the single note of a song that washes over and moves me?  I think my friend Jen would say that it is evidence of a thin place, where the ordinary and sacred meet up for a moment.

Thinking of Eric on his own in Sweden, of Allison navigating the social swirl of a high-school dance, of the bones of an animal that sat down for one last time a hundred years ago?  These are times when I feel both close and far away, connected and stretched.

I have a feeling that the year ahead of me will be a year of thin places, a swirl of time compressing and stretching itself out before me.  And, strange as it may be at times, I'd like to think I'm up to the task of living it.

No comments:

Post a Comment