Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 24, 2013

The Gift of Receiving

Sure, I'm excited for my brother to unwrap the zombie-family car decal that's sitting under his tree in Bloomington, Indiana.  And I'm downright giddy about the See's peanut brittle that awaits Mark's grubby little hands.  But, amidst all of this giving, I keep thinking about what a gift it is to receive.

You cannot receive, after all, unless you are receptive.  And the only way to be receptive is to be open.  Open to getting gifts, hearing new ideas, accepting someone's help.  Open to life itself. 

Like the Christmas Eve service I just returned from, where I received the music and the lessons, the smiles from friends and strangers, and left feeling fuller and richer.  That's the funny thing about graciously receiving what others have to offer.  I become more gracious myself, excited to pass along the good that has been given to me.

So, here's to a season when we embrace the gift of receiving, a time of thanking and hugging and laughing with people for all the dumb and wonderful things they've brought to us.  Practical or outrageous, funny or touching, what others bring to my life will be received with open arms and a grateful heart.

May we learn how to open up ourselves a bit more to this crazy, strange and beautiful world and all the people who move through it.  May we receive it all with joyful mindfulness and nary a thought about all those gifts we charged at Target last month.

No comments:

Post a Comment