Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

A Mother's Vigil

Sarah Piccolo
It is 2:54
and I am awake,
a stranger standing vigil for you.
There is no comfort in tonight's blanket of stars
--too silent
and me, too small.
I am a mother, and that is enough,
knowing you are out there, untethered.

I whisper these words
in hopes that their long, lettery fingers
will alight upon you and let you know
that you are not alone.

Not even now,
when the inky black skies feel heavy with doom.

It is 2:54 and I am troubled by the tilt of this world,
subtle and off kilter.
Nudged awake by a frightened girl
who is huddled and haunted by
contents under pressure

I do not know how it is, Sarah Piccolo,
that--despite everything--
there is a sun making its way to us right now,
extending its warmth and its light
--great heaps of love and forgiveness--
even to us,
these broken souls under pressure.

A thousand mothers stand vigil for you tonight,
Sarah Piccolo,
wanting you to be there for the morning.



1 comment:

  1. Jane - Thank you for sharing these beautiful verses. You put into words the feeling I have also been having since hearing this news yesterday. I pray that her poor decision does not snowball into more, and that she can eventually feel the power of forgiving grace from others.

    ReplyDelete