Search This Blog

Sunday, April 29, 2012

A Sunday Morning Poem

Sometimes, this life is too big for me
   both fettered and floating
its edges just beyond my fingertips.

These are the times I reach deep into my pocket
    pulling out the tiny, soft things I love most
the fuzzied motes within which my life finds balance and meaning.
too small for cosmic microscopes too rich to be ignored.

Resting my head upon my daughter's chest
    her heart magically beating
White toast bathed with creamy peanut butter
    deep pools sunk into its yeasty surface
That single note of a great song
    the one that breaks and heals my heart again
The first bite of a perfect pear
    its sweetness dribbling happily towards my chin
The unapologetic joy of boys playing football after dark
    their shouts drifting through my bedroom window
A look exchanged in silence
   one that speaks of understanding

These are not the moments of great literature
but rather the gentle anchors that keep my boat from listing.

These are the sparks that fire me in this joyful, small life I'm living
    infinitesimal and unknowable
lived against the backdrop of the enormous unknown.

No comments:

Post a Comment