Search This Blog

Sunday, June 26, 2011

What a Long, Strange Trip. . .

I should probably invest in Samsonite, considering all the luggage that I've been seeing (and occasionally hauling) these days.

Confession: I've been having these less-than-admirable, private moments lately in which I long for some lighter travel, both for me and for my family and friends. In fact, there are days when I wish I knew only empty-headed zombies, so that the worries of the world would be easier for me to ignore.

--although having zombies for friends would present problems of its own, I suppose. . . . like what to serve for dinner when they come over.

As it is, though, let's just say that a LOT of people I know are getting stuck with extra fees at the proverbial airports of their lives.

And this simple-minded, cheap girl is starting to count her emotional pennies, so to speak.

I am infinitely glad, though, that I have good folks in my life with whom I can share the luggage. In a morbid way, it can be downright fun to "do the dozens" with my buds, each attempting to top the others' list of things that are harshing their mellow.

At one point during yesterday's Scrabblefest, the three of us got a bad case of the giggles, despite (or maybe because of) topics like failed relationships, gender identity, Alzheimer's, and--oddly--school fight songs. Midway through the game, I think Kristie even snorted, the tears pouring from her eyes as she could no longer contain her laughter.

Like I said, I've been known to like me some black humor. It has a way of taking the edge off of life.

And, believe me, I'm hankering for some smoothed-out edges these days.

1 comment:

  1. Love the laughter...sometimes when I laugh that hard, the bladder control ain't what it use to be!!! C. Clare

    ReplyDelete