Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Dead Man Talking

I love a well-written obituary, one that leaves me with a vivid image of the person, a sense of that person's life. A well-written obituary seldom requires an accompanying photo, so descriptive are the words that follow. Obituaries are odd beasts, though. Marking both a life lived and a life no longer, they often are inadequate bookends to a tale far too long to be told in five column inches.

Sometimes, what is left out is as revealing as the stories that occupy the space. And those omissions can feel like sins to people who knew that person well. It makes sense, I suppose, that, if given only so much space, those in charge of telling the tale hit the highlights, the shiny moments, and overlook the shadows.

Those shadows, though, often hold the deeper meaning, the back stories that tell a more complete tale. Given their warts-and-all nature, though, I guess it's understandable that family members would prefer to iron them over or erase them entirely from the inky trails of last stories told.

Their omission from newsprint, though, does not remove them from life.

And so, today, I think about survivors, both familial and otherwise. I think about stories not told, about hurt crammed deep beneath the surface, yet barely held at bay. I think about accolades and spotlight moments, about mute audience members who know a seedier side, one most certainly not deserving of praise. About secrets kept. Power wrongly expressed. About trust that is lost and lives that are left broken in that wake.

What do these people do, as they scan the glowing recollections? How do they deal with old hurts, bubbling up again in the privacy of their own thoughts? Is it wrong to speak ill of the dead? Is there a secret sense of relief at the passing of that person, or just old wounds left to fester again?

Dying, it seems, is as complicated as living. And obituaries? Just incomplete recollections of a human life lived in some combination of glory and shame.

4 comments:

  1. Huh...you know this hits home today as I read the story and obit of a former co-worker (and wonder if this is what sparked your journal entry). I remember that person being a great person to work with, but the seedier side led to his resignation. Now, with his passing, I don't know how to feel. You can't ignore the seedy, but so many people have so many good things to say that is makes you wonder how much of the seedy was true. Then I think about the person/people hurt by those actions, and I wonder how they feel reading the same article/obit? Thanks for giving me something to think about!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your thoughts. It just struck me as something I hadn't thought about either--what goes through the minds of people who maybe weren't crazy about someone who's died. Thanks for sharing your perspective--Jane.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for what you have written. You put into words what I was thinking, but was unable to express myself in a way that didn't make me sound like a raving maniac! This man forever altered the course of life for someone very dear to me. She was fired from her job because of her accusations. Who were they going to believe? A secretary, or the principal? What a joke! Then give the man the honorable Miliken Award! I about chocked.... Finally, bless her heart a woman had the courage to file a law suit agaisnt him.
    Like I said, I don't have anything nice to say about this man, so I just better not say anything more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you - and it does just bring it all up again just like it all happended yesterday. When I see his face in the paper, my heart about stops! Dead he can still send the fear right down to my toes!
    Nice man some say! For me, not a nice man, not a role model AT ALL! Yes he was a well liked man, but you also notice that most of the posting in the paper are from MEN! Does that seem odd??? Not to me, the women that the lives he touched it wasn't in the right light!
    Yes it doesn't seem right to talk about what a shaddy (too kind of a work) man he was because he has passed, but you know he never did anything right by me!

    ReplyDelete